Sublab XL won't start on Windows 7

@EnergyCrush

Just to clarify, we’ve released the beta for SubLab XL that includes Windows 7 support. You have managed to get SubLab XL to activate and work on Windows 7 and you are now trying with SubLab?

Thanks,
Gavin.

I don’t own Sublab XL yet, I’m just working with Sublab.

I had received a message from Julia on Jan 31st saying there was beta fix to test and she just needed my email, but I never got any additional responses after that. I wasn’t sure if this fix was intended to resolve both, but went ahead and tried it to see. Circle doesn’t seem to have the same issue, and it seems this is a potential fix for Sublab XL, and it did get Sublab further which was great, so maybe just part of the solution for Sublab.

If no further effort will be made to get Sublab working on Win 7, it might be a little disappointing but not incomprehensible. I at least have my studio machine upgraded and working with most products now. The issue has been a laptop I use upstairs that isn’t capable of running Win 10+. It may be years old, but has also has everything under the sun loaded and working on it … still has Waves, iZotope products, can load almost any project. The only exceptions are Sublab and Steinberg Padshop 2, as Steinberg has essentially stopped supporting almost everything behind Windows 10 21H2.

This is not end of the world, but you do get to a point where you’ve got stable functional systems and don’t really want to just keep throwing money at new hardware or software and want to write. Perhaps I’ve been lucky to be able to keep that system around with Win 7 for as long as I have and will just have to replace it to keep writing in the evenings, such is life.

Thanks Gavin

We’re totally down for getting SubLab working on Windows 7 also. This will require a couple of days work…we released XL first as we needed to test and see if everything worked ok which seems to be the case so SubLab is up next.

If you want to test XL also prior to the release of SubLab Windows 7 that would be great, I’ve sent a PM.

1 Like

I’ve purchased Sublab XL now and will plan to test tonight and update for further validation. I imagine it could be a helpful validation case for Win 7 … the laptop is older, and I’ve had to make a lot of tweaks over the years to make everything work as smoothly as possible. The battery bloated up a while back and had to be removed and the Focusrite velcroed to the back has tape to keep the USB connection still. However, it’s the most complete workstation I have at the moment and incredibly handy for writing late at night, would be awesome to load those projects, and I’m happy to help and provide feedback if it helps get there.

Thanks Gavin

So, it seems the fix for SuLab XL, using the latest 1.04 after the workaround steps, works at least partially. I was able to start the standalone instance and register it, and I’m able to see and successfully load the VST3 version of SubLab XL.

However, there seems to be a problem with the VST2 version, It does not show up for either Renoise or Ableton (can try others, but these are generally pretty stable). As a test and workaround, I attempted to load it directly with DDMF’s Metaplugin and got the message below. I haven’t tried loading it up in jbridge to actually see if it’s a 32-bit issue, but it doesn’t seem likely … unless you guys think or know the VST2 of SubLab XL 1.04 Beta is 32-bit for some reason. Would be good to know if it is, but this is really just feedback.

[Update]
Spun up jbridger and scanned the FAW directory for 32-bit plugins to create 64-bit bridges for, but no, jbridge isn’t finding the VST2 SubLab XL dll is a 32-bit dll, so it seems it’s a different issue, something about the dll itself seems bad.

Hey guys,
where are we at. Does Sublab work on Windows 7 these days?

We have a beta for Windows 7, but we’re going to be not supporting Windows 7 from here on out in XL.