[Lasted Build] SubLab 1.1.4 (build date 06/05/20)

Ok, I can recreate it here on macOS @Baphometrix .

What I am seeing is that when I disable the main blue volume envelope from the sampler and set the first sample when I reset while playing to 5.0, so I get a visible spike, I get the following:

That is what we should be seeing and is correct. We’re resetting correctly to the start of the sample, we can see the spike and phase is being reset correctly. There is a slight dip in volume due to the internal fade in envelope.

Now, when I turn back on the main blue envelope, I get below:

It looks like the envelope start and the start of the sampler reset is out of sync. The envelope is going through its attack phase before the phase is reset in the sampler, thus giving it this spike, as it amplifies further in along the sample, prior to the reset happening.

It becomes even more pronounced with a very fast decay time:

@Baphometrix, I think I’m pretty close to figuring it out, it is related to the delay on the sampler being out of time with the main blue envelope…

1 Like

OK, got the activation code and up and running now. So that confirmed that not being activated was what was crashing Cakewalk.

I had an anomaly the first time I brought SubLab into a project where when I let off a note (Key Off), an upper pitched sine wave would continue indefinitely as though the note was stuck. This behavior was for ALL presets. I continued trying different presets and hitting different keys up and down the keyboard and finally the sounds started working correctly. Not sure what caused that strange mode. I have not been able to duplicate the problem. I have inserted in several projects and all seems to be working well.

However, I have had a couple instances where changing presets caused the host to close abnormally, i.e., a hard instant shutdown (“poof”).

I’ve also worked with SubLab standalone and all seems to be working.

My configuration:
SubLab 1.1.4
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Host - Cakewalk by BandLab, 64 bit installation, latest version
Working at 24 bit, 96K

Thanks for this @dgrace

We’re just looking into the bug that @Baphometrix highlighted and will jump your finds after that.

Gavin.

@Baphometrix, got it fixed here. The only artifact that you would see currently in the waveform is the fade out from current sample position back to the start when the new note came. What I am going to do is add a setting for this so you can turn it on and off.

Gavin.

I’m running into a new issue with 1.1.4 (5-June) where neither the VST3 nor VST2 build will load new presets of any kind from the preset browser IF SubLab is placed inside of an “Instrument Selector” device.

I don’t think this is strictly a bug on your side, but something about your library or VST 2/3 implementation might be contributing to this issue on Bitwig’s side. Every other VST I’ve tried in Bitwig’s Instrument Selector device works just fine. SubLab is literally the only one I’ve tested that exhibits this problem.

Any way, just a heads up. I’ve submitted this same bug report to Bitwig if you want to reach out to them or they reach out to you.

Hi Gavin,

Bitwig threw the ball back in FAW’s court on this issue. Here’s what they replied:

are you sure it worked correctly before? We have not seen a plugin with this problem so far and the plugin still seems to be somewhat new, so this most likely is an issue with the plugin itself. Maybe the sleep mode is not implemented correctly, but there is not even a manual or a demo version available for it to test it.
We suggest reporting it to the plugin developer, without the source code of the plugin we can anyway only guess what is doing or not doing in certain situations.

Best regards,
Bitwig Technical Support Team

On another note entirely, I was working on a new song yesterday and trying VERY hard to make SubLab work as the main engine for the song, but I had to throw in the towel and use an entirely different synth. Not because of any issue with the Sampler OSC or phase reset on new notes or anything like that.

But instead because of the octave-constrained “auto wrap” behavior of the X-Sub OSC. Sometimes this is desireable, but quite honestly in a fair number of typical sub lines–even for bass music genres–you want to be able to bounce up into some notes ABOVE B0. For example, the song I was writing yesterday was in the key of E Phyrgian b4, so my root note is E0 but the sub line I wanted to use was bouncing occasionally up to the b6 (C1) and b7 (D1). Unfortunately, it just sounded wrong when the X-Sub wrapped what should have been those brief, punchy scale tone jumps back down to C0 and D0.

Point being, I really think you should add a setting that will turn off the auto-wrapping mode in X-Sub if the user desires it.

1 Like

@Baphometrix, I’ve just send out the email with the links to the beta.

I’ve added the ability to turn off the note wrapping in X-Sub. I didn’t add it as a menu item, but instead it can be disable via the settings file. Just add the following line to settings.xml:

<VALUE name = “xsub_wrap_on” val = “0” />

On the sampler front, I’ve added two menu items, in the sampler settings menu you can now turn off crossfading on reset of the play head when a new note comes in. This means you’ll have instantaneous resetting of the phase back to what ever point in the sample the start marker is set to.
I’ve also added a setting that will reset the envelope back to zero when a new note is played, rather than taking on the level that the envelope was at prior to the new note coming in, and using that as the starting point.

We’re working on adding what we’re calling “Paraphonic” voicing, which is where we have two voices in SubLab, with the ability to cross-fade from one to the other. I’ll get back on this fairly soon :+1:

Thanks for the help on this, it turned in a pretty massive task this last update, with adding stereo samples, it meant we had to rebuild all the effects and also the sampler, which is where some of these issues created new ones during the refactor. Really appreciate the help in getting them fixed. I’m confident that we’re out of the woods on the sampler, but never say never!

Thanks,
Gavin.

Hi, Julia give me 1.14 RC7 to test to see if an issue I was having (1.13 Final, was crashing on Windows 10 if I tried to locate missing samples in Cubendo).
I had to quickly stop using 1.14.
Two immediate issues.

1. When you favourite patches it changes the patches itself instead of writing it to the database. Well that means whenever I reinstall the factory stuff from an update (like this) it wiped out all my factory favourited patches… yikes… fortunately I had a backup on PC.
  2. The bug though is on 10.14.6 mac. I didn’t even try installing it on the PC. Not only do the patches sound funny, but I use global transpose at -24 to stop me to having to keep dropping my 61 note keyboard two octaves whenever I am using SubLab (I have a request for a global Transpose on it or being able to lock the current transpose) but any note I played above middle C played no sound. Either on my own patches or factory patches, both in Cubase 10.5.20 using vst3 and the standalone on mac.

yikes.
rsp

Hey @zvenx,

1. I’ll have a look at the issue with favoriting changing the preset, it shouldn’t be doing this.

2. When you say the patches sound funny, what do you mean exactly? Is it different to the ones that were saved in the project?
    On the transpose, if you want it to permanently shift up to middle C as the first note, go to the setting and set “Note Settings > FL Studio Mode: On”. Check the image below for how to find it.

Hi Gavin.

1. Thanks.

2. Yes it sounded very different in a project than how it did with 1.13.

To be clearthe FL Studio Mode ON, puts it in permanent 2 octaves down mode?
rsp

Hi Gavin, I don’t think I described one of the issues properly…
Take the Desire for my to have stuff transpose out of the picture for now.
What I was saying was on 1.13 I can play any note on my 61 keys keyboard and it will trigger sound,
with 1.1.4 beta RC7, any note I played above Middle C made no sound.
rsp

Hi Gavin, any luck with reproducing my issues with the beta?
thanks
rsp

A reminder… any luck with reproducing the issues i experienced with the beta?
rsp

Hey @zvenx,

I haven’t been able to recreate this issue.

We’re working away here on an update though and will keep an eye/ear out for it.

Gavin.

Where can I download version 1.1.4?

Hello. I am new here from today. I would like to get the beta 1.1.4
Baphometrix made a great youtube video about phasing issues on kick and sub low end. He showed how to reset phase on new note but it does not seem to work with version 1.1.3. Please tell me I am doing something wrong. Thanks. Paul.