[Archived] SubLab XL 1.0.4 Beta - New noise module and more

I just visited the forum and read ā€œI have a strange bugā€ and video pictureā€¦ :grin:

3 Likes

When I play low bass notes I get this light but I donā€™t mind cause I tan and I like it :))

That makes me feel like SubBass XL needs a lens flare/bling mode when youā€™re really rollinā€™ with those subs! :gem::racing_car: @Aleko 's already thinking into the future!

2 Likes

And while we speak about the future pleaaaaaaaaase Gavin make Circle native m1! Will send more bugs like this I promise :=)

1 Like

Good feedback. :+1:

Random preset would be useful, but especially randomize for individual sections (per-FX, sample, synth, X-Sub, random sample [preserve other sample settings] etc.
Global randomize can be great too, particularly with a modifier key which subtly randomizes for creating variations of an existing preset.

3 Likes

@Adamate YES PLEASE! Iā€™ve suggested similar things before too, and you bringing it up makes it a good time for me to echo what youā€™re saying!

A well-done randomizer (with some ā€œintelligenceā€ so it doesnā€™t go unusably off the rails") is a FANTASTIC creativity stimulator. When we can make more variations on a theme so easily, it benefits those who donā€™t consider themselves full-on ā€œsound programmers/designersā€ but might be JUST the tweaks needed for a track-in-progress ā€” without losing momentum!

Even a ā€œselect a random patch from all the presetsā€ button :game_die: empowers us to discover more of the list, and not have to be biased by alphabetical order. This gets more valuable, the more sub packs you get.

1 Like

When launching SubLab XL inside my DAW (Ableton) and the standalone app Iā€™m seeing ā€œpowered by Juceā€ with the Juce logo on the bottom right corner of the GUI momentarily before the interface loads:
JUCE-bug

It appears that automation unnecessarily floods the undo buffer. This makes it very hard to undo parameter changes, and makes the macro knobs less convenient.

Repro:

• Add a new instance of SubLabXL.
  • This doesnā€™t seem preset specific, but Iā€™m able to easily repro it with Analog Moog XL.
  • Start recording (Iā€™m in Ableton Live Beta 11) and move the A and B macros around a lot with automation on.
  • Keep recording several clips with automation like that. One after another.
  • Now in Ableton, go to Edit menu > Undo several times.

OBSERVE: not only are the Macro A and B knob automation captured, it also captures the movements of specific parameters mapped to the macros so thereā€™s a lot of redundancy.

EXPECTED: automation should be captured cleanly, so you donā€™t have to keep hitting Undo.

This is what I see on that patch, after JUST moving macroA and macroB:
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.30.19 AM

06.02.2023_17.58.39_REC

06.02.2023_17.58.23_REC

This is not true in Bitwig. It does give me the Marco A and B option to automate. When i undo, it does undo one action and that is the recording. Seems like the problem is from Abletons side.

Edit: If i am not mistaken you can save a preset in Ableton creating a rack and bypass this behavior by creating knobs for Macro A and B. I havent been used Ableton in ages so dont take my words guarantee.

Thanks for checking that out! I notice the undo buffer gets cluttered very visibly AS SOON as I move Macro A/B and I see additional parameters being added.

INTRIGUINGLY what you pointed out presents a workaround:

• Add instance of SubLabXL
  • Click Configure
  • Drag Macro A and Macro B knobs
  • DELETE the additional parameters being recorded
  • Right-click and Group so itā€™s a rack
  • Map Macro A and Macro B to two rack knobs.
  • Save this for use later.

I have yet to test more, but this might be viable. One drawback though, is rack macros override any native plugin values, so I must control the macros using the rack, rather than SubLab XLā€™s colorful Macros page with the animated orb. Thus, preset macro values arenā€™t respected. But, for my purposes, this is alrightā€¦ wonder who else feels similarly/different?

1 Like

Yeah it gets cluttered because its a multi-action knob, so the undo button gets busy.

But what do you mean about not respecting the values? Could you elaborate on this?

Ok, weā€™ve this one @rrahim :+1:

1 Like

Yes, the macro will set the parameter values which in turn will notify the daw that they have changed, hence the extra automation.

When you mouse down on a parameter control and before you move the mouse, the DAW is notifiedā€¦probably what is happening in Bitwig is that they take this message as notification to stop recording automation from anywhere else.

@Tsavness Re: ā€œnot respecting the valuesā€ā€¦ in Ableton, itā€™s been a known limitation for awhile that:

• If you assign an Ableton rack macro knob to a pluginā€™s parameter, then change the parameter value INSIDE the plugin GUI, it does not move the macro knob.
  • Then if you save, close and reopen the projectā€¦ the rack knob value will be recalled instead.

In other words, once you make an Ableton Rack, its own native macro knobs take precedence, it isnā€™t bi-directional communication. Try it and see!

@Gavin_FAW Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m observing. Usually in a plugin where there it has its own macro control, I expect it to not send the ā€œextra automationā€.

One subtlety to this, which your wording and Tsavnessā€™ idea clued me into: if I go into Configure mode in Ableton and just CLICK Macro A/B, then it only recognizes those parameters. Itā€™s only if I start moving the knob values do I see the extra automation. So itā€™s still an issue if Automation Arm is enabled in Ableton, but at least thereā€™s a workaround.

2023-02-08 02.51.16

2 Likes